I'm posting the recipe here so I don't have to keep looking for it. Ü2 cups crunchy peanut butter
2 cups lard
4 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
4 cups cornmeal
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup raisins
1 cup bird seed (or whole wheat kernels or other grains)
Melt lard and peanut butter over low heat.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Scoop into zipper-style sandwich bags.
Freeze until it is hardened.
Place in mesh bag or suet feeder.
Note: I don't know of any good reason to feed the birds sugar, so I leave that out. I felt kind of bad when I realized I was giving them hydrogenated lard. I need to stop by the butcher's and pick up some healthier lard. :) Will the health benefits of the organic cornmeal cancel out the cheap-o peanut butter? Not sure I'll invest in the $$$ natural kind for them.



5 comments:
I love your peanut butter sign ... that's funny!
Hi there -
Thanks for posting your suet recipe.
:)
Rob says he might even eat that.
His stomach is made of cast iron.
Great! I was wanting to have you guys over to eat soon, now I know what to make. I'll mix it up warm when you get here--and I'll leave in the sugar. yum!
Great photo of the bird!
Post a Comment