Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Decrepitude Tales----At Least I Can Still Entertain My Children

OK, so it's no secret that I can't even watch television on my own anymore. I can't play a dvd or video or change the channel. The tv has buttons on the front for volume and on/off, so I can handle that. Otherwise I feign laziness and hand the dvd to Taylor or Luke.

Today more events occurred that prove I've passed into old-womanhood.

I set the alarm on my cell phone for 6:30am so I could get an early start on the day. I don't know what position I slept in, but when the alarm rang, my hands--both of them--were asleep. Sitting there unable to open the cover to stop the ringing, I was too disoriented to know whether it was the alarm or a phone call (thanks to my wonderful fun-loving daughter who changed all the ringtones so I can't tell if it's a text message or an alarm or who's calling anymore).

Yes, this is the same daughter that sent me a text message the last time we visited her HUGE church. I had turned off the ringer as I entered the auditorium, but apparently didn't hit save, because the phone blared

JOY TO THE WORLD!!!

as I scrambled to dig it out of my purse.

Today Lee called while I was browsing at the Bigtown library. I tried to turn down the volume, but accidentally turned on the speakerphone instead. Everyone around me could hear Lee making fun of my "library voice." I panicked and couldn't remember how to shut off the speaker, so I closed the phone to hang up on her. After making a hasty retreat, I called her back. She rolled laughing when I told her that I'd hung up on her and why. Said she'd seen her dad not able to figure something out and just close the phone to start over, but she didn't think I'd have to resort to that tactic. I guess that makes me feel better. Maybe.

Another sign of encroaching decrepitude---

I'm the organized, detail-oriented person. I just notice things. Well, as I was driving home from the libray tonight, I saw that there's a button on the steering wheel to adjust the temperature. How could I not have seen this before?! It's right beside the -volume- button, which I use all the time to turn down whatever Taylor's listening to! Yes, me, the observant one.

3 comments:

Laura said...

:)
I'm glad my boys haven't figured out how to change my ringtone yet.... I am SURE they would find that quite funny!

On the rare occasions that I am actually watching a program on TV - invariably that is when our DVR will pop up with the message that it is getting ready to change the channel and start recording something. I NEVER know how to stop that. Each time I have to holler for Jackson to come do it for me. He keeps "teaching" me but I just don't get it. So I completely understand your issues! :)

Donna said...

lol, that's so funny! Taylor keeps telling me he'll write all the directions down for me. I'd rather just have them do it . . . If I really need to watch a dvd, I can always do it on the computer.

Kristine said...

Hah, I like your new font too.

I don't even TRY to figure out the remote, I just hand it to my kids if I'm unlucky enough to be near it.

And, fwiw, three out of the last four mornings, my alarm clock has NOT woken me up, but I can't figure out why NOT. (One night I forgot to set it though.)