Tuesday, September 30, 2008

History of England in Scribbles

Here again is our history board. This one tells the story of England (all we know of it anyway) from the time of Alfred the Great to the Battle of Hastings.

Can you see the drawing that looks a little like a chicken with a crown? Or maybe a duck. That's Ethelred the Unready. He's a dirty no good low-down yellow-bellied chicken.

Sure, I could make this a little neater if I wasn't writing upside down. But why? I'd have to move off my comfy seat on the couch to get down on the floor by the board.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Donna, I love this idea. Do you do this for all your studies? Hmmm, wonder if I could get Dan to leave it be. Do you keep it up while you work through a study? What a great learning tool.

Donna said...

I make them quite a bit when we're reading--history or a good book. I just use a couple of big wipe-off boards and keep them until we've moved on.

It's so nice to have them to refer back to Henry II or whoever we read about a week or two ago and remember where his place was in history. Sort of like a really sloppy annotated timeline, I guess. lol. The boys have always loved them though.

I guess you could use the markers that wash off with water instead of the wipe-offs to make it last longer w/ littles around. :)

Or you could hang it on the wall, but that would require getting off the couch to write--not gonna happen around here.

lazy susie said...

That chicken/duck is none other than Chuck. He is the king/president of the chickens AND he is half chicken and half duck-billed platypus. It is nice to see him making it into the history books. And it is wonderful to see history being taught properly without leaving out very important things like Chicken Kings.

Kristine said...

Well, I think your teacher should give you an A+. :)