Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Filling the Freezer--Chicken

I've been ordering food in bulk from my local grocery store since we got a new Super Wal-Mart about 20 miles away and they were such a pain about sale price matching.

I told the customer service manager "You're making this difficult." "That's the point," she informed me.

I left her with my several packages of chicken and drove straight to my local Teeny-Town grocery store where we worked out a great deal. If I order by the case, his prices on most things are real close to the local Wal-Mart price. But in our little town of 600, I'm just glad to have a grocery store and am happy to pay a bit extra if needed to support it.

He gives me a great price on meat if I take a whole case. This week I bought 60 lbs. (12 large) frozen whole chickens for $.79/pound and 40 pounds fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts at $1.69/pound. I like to buy them fresh so we can trim them and cut up into whatever sizes we want before freezing. Makes it much easier (read lazy here) later.

The whole chickens were easy--just throw 'em in the freezer.

Mark and I trimmed the gunk off the fresh b/s breasts and I spread them out on cookie sheets between layers of waxed paper to flash freeze. I emphasized how important it was to check them before we went to bed--as soon as they were mostly frozen I needed to break them up individually and put them in freezer bags. That was last night.

Yep, I remembered the "bedtime check" at about 4:00 this afternoon. So while the guys are all heading off to church, I'm spending my quiet time tonight pick-axing apart my 40 lbs. of granite chicken. ::sigh::

6 comments:

Laura said...

Oh phooey! I am sorry! :) But, at least it was funny. Oh, wait a minute, it was funny to US! :) :) :)

Donna said...

Oh it's funny to me too--now. Especially the part where hubby says "It'll probably come apart easy" as he's walking out the door. Ü

Marcy said...

ha!! that was funny - but i also thought - think how much gas money you're saving by not driving to wal-mart?! you're probably getting your chicken CHEAPER than if you got it at wal-mart. i'll just bet you don't forget that freezing part again.

Kristine said...

I usually shy away from the Walmart meat case, sausage being an exception. Whatever I buy at the "regular" store just seems more trustworthy!

I bought several whole chickens a few weeks ago, tossing them in the freezer. Last night, I got the, "We've been having chicken a LOT lately, Mom!" And they were less than thrilled about it!

Oh, I just posted a few garbanzo recipes for you at Lazy Susie's blog. At our house, we call them butt beans. (Okay, I'm really the only one that calls them that. My kids think I'm a dork.)

Donna said...

Gee, thanks for the compassion Marcy. You're a real pal.

The regular price for b/s chicken breasts around here is $3.00 so I thought it was a good deal. Ü

And, uh, this is the second time I've done it. ::sigh::

I agree about buying meat at WM, Kristine. Right before I quit I got a package that smelled terrible. I took it back and the guy said "Yeah, we've been having trouble w/ the chicken lately." Thanks a lot.

Thank you thank you for the garbanzo recipes. I'll check out Susan's blog. I've got 25 lbs. to use up.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Donna, this did make me smile. I bought 5 bags of 10 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts....When they came in on the truck I was surprised that they were frozen in 10 lb blocks. UGH. I cooked up a few and shredded them for quick meals....but I had so hoped to do what you are doing. LOL