Thursday, October 30, 2008

State Capitol

Taylor had basketball practice this morning, then we visited the state capitol building. Completed in 1917, $4 million was alloted for the construction. $1 million of that was spent on the artwork throughout the building and grounds. I'd forgotten how beautiful it is.


I don't think the inscriptions in the lobby show up very well in the above pictures. One says--LORD GOD OF HOSTS BE WITH US YET-LEST WE FORGET. The other says RIGHTEOUSNESS EXALTETH A NATION.

A mural by Thomas Hart Benton covers the walls of the House Lounge. To give you an idea of the size of the painting, you can see our tour guide in the bottom left corner of the first picture below. I should've tried to lighten that picture up a little.



There were huge numbers of fourth graders touring the capitol today, and we went with this group. They were very well-behaved and attentive, asked lots of questions, and always tried to respond when the guide asked them a question.


Very nice tour guide: Does anyone know the #1 industry in Missouri?
Cute fourth grade girl: Wal-Mart!!

One sweet grandpa whispered to me that Taylor was kind of tall for a fourth grader.

2 comments:

lazy susie said...

Maybe your tall 4th grader should play basketball.

Laura said...

I do love our state capitol building. Jennifer interned in Jeff City one year and we spent a fair amount of time visiting her (and visiting the capitol). We need to go back!!