Sunday, October 26, 2008

Gingersnaps and Sweet Pumpkin Dip

Here ya' go, Marcy. I'm looking for a gingersnap recipe that uses less oil, but this one is really good. I'll post a recipe for pumpkin dip also. I love 'em together.

2 cups sugar
1½ c. vegetable oil
2 eggs
½ c. molasses
4 c. all-purpose flour
4 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
aditional sugar


In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and oil; mix well. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in molasses. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Shape into ¾-in. balls and roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until cookie springs back when touched lightly. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Sweet Pumpkin Dip

4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1 can (30 oz.) pumpkin pie filling mix
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger


In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and cream cheese, beating until well blended. Beat in remaining ingredients. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. Serve with gingersnaps.

This dip is really good, but it makes SO much and it doesn't freeze very well--it starts tasting old soon. I've seen recipes using a small can of pumpkin (instead of the large can of pie filling mix) and only one package of cream cheese. That should make a more manageable amount. :)

2 comments:

Marcy said...

oh donna, i just got on here and looked for this. been out of the country awhile and haven't had time to get back on here. have a question. if i can't find molasses here, what can i substitute for that? i'll be on the lookout for it. i'm sure all you great bakers out there may think that's a stupid question, but i rarely cook, so i have no clue what to sub that for. i'm anxious to try these cookies after scott gets back from africa and overhauls my oven. :) this will be something to look forward to. thanks for the recipe!!!

Donna said...

That's a tough one. The molasses is what gives them their flavor. I can't think of anything to substitute. I could've sent some to Uganda w/ Jamie I guess. lol. Can family bring you some when they visit?