Saturday, April 14, 2007

Theras and His Town

The boys and I recently finished reading Theras and His Town. I tried twice unsuccessfully to get it through our inter-library loan. I guess it's really popular right now, none of the libraries could send their copy. I finally bought a reasonably-priced ex-lib copy on amazon.

We enjoyed the book, but I see the same author has The Spartan, the story of the only survivor of the Battle of Thermopylae. And I was wanting to move on . . .

When we were visiting my sister a few weeks ago, a young neighbor stopped to visit. He started talking about current movies and mentioned 300. He told a little about how gory it was, then my sister asked Taylor if he knew what they were talking about. Tay says "Yeah, the Battle of Thermopylae."

She was floored! He was brilliant! I later had to admit that we're studying Ancient Greece and just a few days before had read about the war and watched The 300 Spartans. (sigh) . . . I was an awesome teacher for a few minutes there.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Donna, as usual, this is a riot. I can't believe you've been blogging for this long! Wow!!

It's those little things we know about nothing that will help win Trivial Pursuit. Or Jeopardy, lol.