Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Happy Bird Day

I haven't been feeling the greatest, so have been looking for ways to shirk my school duties whenever possible. :)


Grandma came over today and watched birds with Luke. Then he read all his bird information from the conservation department to her. (The gun in the picture below is for shooting sparrows off the feeders.)


We made a list of all the birds we saw from the window--

cardinal
goldfinch
purple finch
ruby-throated hummingbird
phoebe
house wren
indigo bunting
rose-breasted grosbeak
downy woodpecker
red-bellied woodpecker
red-headed woodpecker
northern oriole
mourning dove
grackle
robin
killdeer
brown thrasher
red-winged blackbird
barn swallow
English sparrow
chipping sparrow

One of my favorites, the white-crowned sparrow, has been missing for a few days. I hope he's back soon.


Here are a few photos from Taylor:

female rose-breasted grosbeak


goldfinches


This funny, fat goldfinch had only a little black on him--his wings were yellow


We got this great new feeder where the finches hang upside down, looking like little yellow bats. Oh, Mom, did I mention I borrowed a feeder the other day when you were gone??



house wren


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we can raid my garage and west flower bed and come up with a lot of bird seed, feeders and houses if you are interested. Love the pictures.
Mom-Grandma

Laura said...

What a lovely day spent with Grandma. Again - your bird photos are magnificent!

Chris said...

That is an impressive list of birds that he saw. What a great way to spend time with grandma too!

Lisa in Jax said...

Love the bird feeder! We'd just get Mockingbirds right now and they are a pain.LOL

Debbie said...

I didn't realize you were a bird watcher, Donna! I love my birds.

We also have a gun handy for those pesky house sparrows. They raise quite a ruckus with my bluebirds and tree swallows. I just bought a trap that is suppose to work in the bird houses. We shall see.

That is a very nice list of birds and I love that upside down feeder. I'll be looking for one of those.

What a fun thing for Gramma to help out with the schooling.

Kristine said...

YOU SHOOT THE SPARROWS OFF THE FEEDER?!!!!

I think that's called BIRD DISCRIMATION!

And those are awesome bird shots--the photos, I mean!

Donna said...

OK, I guess I should have said scare the birds away from the feeders. He has yet to hit one. :)