Saturday, August 9, 2008

You know you live in the middle of nowhere

when the area's biggest attraction is the dam. After the most recent heavy rains, 54000 cubic feet per second was being released. See all the little teeny-tiny people along the railing on the top??

Yes, the parking lot was filled, and sightseers lined the dam to see this--


I tried to get a nice romantic picture of the folks with the setting sun in the background.

When I got home and photoshopped it, I realized it was my friend Kim. Hi Kim!!! Sorry this romantic pic of you and your sweetie didn't turn out better.

If I had a fancy camera, this would be a really cool picuture. You'd be able to see the hundreds of Asian carp in the water in the lower right corner. They were having a tough time swimming upstream, poor little guys.


I read some interesting facts about these fish--they're actually a nuisance species, non-native. You can watch some videos on YouTube of them leaping into boats. I wouldn't waste my time, being on dial-up and all, but feel free if you'd like.

I believe Luke may not have wanted his picture taken. Maybe.



As always, I had to throw in a few photos of the flowers.


6 comments:

lazy susie said...

If I could have, I would have asked them to divert that water through a couple/three (I hate when people say that) bedrooms around here. We'd lose the sea monkeys, but it would be worth it.

Debbie said...

I actually enjoy seeing dams and water. I would visit your nice big dam if I was in your neck of the woods.

Laura said...

Donna -
Believe it or not, my Mom and I travelled all the way to Wyoming to look at dams and canals and even irrigation ditches! We are apparently easily amused. :)

J said...

Typical Joe.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

When we lived in Great FAlls, MT we used to enjoy going out to check the levels at the dam - and watch the fish too. LOL Great photos. I really like Luke's expression.

Kristine said...

I **seriously** just saw some footage on tv with these fish jumping into boats! Really and truly, just in the past week!